Fiction Library Review Threads

News & Updates

Community News:
Episode Info:
Spotlight Threads:
  • New Forum Banners! (3/21)
  • Video Archive Removal (10/24)
  • Image Resizing Feature Upgrade (8/21)
  • Season 6 Hiatus & Ruminations (Updated 7/11)
  • We Have A New Default Theme!
  • Current Episode: S7E03 "A Flurry of Emotions"
    Next Episode: S7E04 "Rock Solid Friendship"
    Followed By: S7E05 "Fluttershy Leans In"

Next Episode:

Welcome to Brony Kingdom. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Your account may take up to 48 hours for approval, so please be patient! :)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
    Add Reply
    Episode Grade
    A+ 0 (0%)
    A 1 (50%)
    A- 0 (0%)
    B+ 0 (0%)
    B 0 (0%)
    B- 0 (0%)
    C+ 0 (0%)
    C 1 (50%)
    C- 0 (0%)
    D+ 0 (0%)
    D 0 (0%)
    D- 0 (0%)
    F 0 (0%)
    Total Votes: 2
    MLPFIM S7E02 - "All Bottled Up" - Grading & Discussion
    Topic Started: Apr 6 2017, 07:59 PM (129 Views)
    Rainbow Dash
    Member Avatar
    Snuggle Princess

Episode Title: "All Bottled Up"
    Air Date: April 15th, 2017, 12:00 PM Eastern Time (4:00 PM GMT/UTC)

Summary: "While the Mane 6 are on a friendship retreat, Starlight Glimmer loses Twilight Sparkle’s friendship map. Afraid her anger might get out of control, Starlight Glimmer casts a calming spell while the ponies search for the lost map."

Live Streams:
    HaxMega
    BronyState Theaters
    Brony Network
    Equestria TV
    Otaku Ascended

REMEMBER: NO OPEN SPOILERS UNTIL 4 PM EST (8 PM UTC/GMT) the day the episode airs.
    =-

Ruminations:
    Two new episodes on the same day! Yep, odd as it may seem, because the season premiere isn't a two-parter, we get two new episodes premiering on the same day. This one focuses on Starlight Glimmer accidentally losing Twilight's friendship map. On first glance, it seems positively slice-of-life in nature, but I wonder if it's a part of a greater story arc? We won't really know for sure until later in the season, of course, but it's fun to speculate right now. Of course, the most important part is that we're getting two new episodes of pony in one day, and that is something to celebrate. Yay! :D
    Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rainbow Dash
    Member Avatar
    Snuggle Princess

So we start with Starlight and Trixie. Starlight's making tea cakes, and Trixie's working on a little magic. Of course, as Trixie does, she lets her excitement carry her away, and she ruins Starlight's tea cakes, ones she wanted to give to Twilight and her friends for their friendship retreat. We can already see Starlight's frustration beginning to mount, as Trixie drops a bag of pretzels on Starlight's ruined tea cakes to replace the loss of the "snacks." I laughed.

Anyway, so Twilight and company are off to their retreat (which cracks me up because it ends up being a team building exercise. Seriously, I laughed so hard at that, because of course, Twilight), and Starlight is in the castle with Trixie. Trixie decides she wants to learn a teleportation spell she finds in Starlight's magic book.

Starlight reluctantly agrees, and though Trixie's first choice is Spike (with some great moments from the dragon himself), she eventually settled on an apple. Unfortunately, the apple's sitting on the cutie map, and next thing you know, Trixie's bungled it and the entire cutie map has disappeared. Starlight's now in full panic mode, and Trixie doesn't seem to be bothered. This angers Starlight, and we see a visible cloud of red appear over her head. We find out that Starlight's power is directly tied in to her emotions (this was great to learn, by the way, as it explains a great deal), so the more powerful her emotions, the more power funneled into her magic.

The cloud of anger is getting worse, so Starlight uses a spell to have the cloud trap itself in a bottle (hence "all bottled up") that she carries in her saddle bags. So they go off looking for the cutie map, visiting several different places in Ponyville, and each time Trixie's behavior just gets worse, and Starlight's anger continues to build, until finally, on accident, the bottle is tossed from her saddle bags, and breaks open. The cloud of anger takes over the three nearby vendors whom the pair had spoken with while searching for the cutie map, and so they start cornering Trixie and screaming at her. Trixie is confused as to why these ponies are yelling things at her, not realizing the words they're saying are the results of Starlight's pent up anger.

Meanwhile, back at the friendship retreat, the mane six have successfully completed the tasks in the team building exercise, and break into song (I love this bit of self-awareness coming true from Starlight), so things are going swimmingly for them.

Back in Ponyville, things have gone haywire, as Bulk Biceps throws his cinnamon nut cart at Trixie out of sheer rage. Dude is huge, yo. So anyway, Trixie finally starts asking why they're all saying those things to her, and Starlight finally confesses that those words are hers, that her pent up anger has given voice to what she was trying to hide. The pair makeup, and Trixie suddenly remembers where she thought the table would be, and they show up at the spa, getting it back to the castle just in time for Twilight and friends to walk through the door.

I like this episode better than the first one. I think it's a bit stronger, and I think the interplay between the ponies works better. I like that the Mane Six aren't in conflict, which I kind of expected, and it's funny to watch Starlight and Trixie's dynamic. I laughed at the mini Twilight comment from Trixie, as well as Bulk Biceps comment about "wearing many hats" referring to his job at the spa, and his job as a cinnamon nut vendor. :lol:

I also noted that Trixie said she loved Starlight Glimmer, which shocked me for a second. I don't recall ever hearing any of the ponies say that they loved their friends, or anypony else for that matter. So for me, it's quite clear that Starlight is the closest friend Trixie has ever had, and had to be lonely out on the road. She didn't just like Starlight, she loved her, and I thought that was fantastic. Clearly, Starlight loves Trixie, because I don't know if I could handle someone like Trixie 24/7. :lol:

All in all, this was a great episode, and gets a solid "A" from me. I think we're getting off on the right hoof this season. Here's hoping to more great ones!

LostSanity
    BANNED

Same rule applies to the last one. I'm not re-typing the 'viewer discretion.' You know what it is. Just abide by it or get reported for not abiding by it.

Spoiler: click to toggle

Current Status:

Stay: 10%
    Leave: 90%

Reason: EVEN MORE expectation to like HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters.

Well then...

Perhaps I should being work on my CM Punk-style 'exit interview'? Guess it's something I'll have to think about.

Rainbow Dash
    Member Avatar
    Snuggle Princess

*sigh*

You know what? Considering your recent behavior, along with years of this, which I honestly should not have put up with, and your insistence on calling people names here, and in the shoutbox, I think I will assist you with your decision. I wish you well wherever else you go, but it shall not be here.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
    « Previous Topic · Sugarcube Corner · Next Topic »
    Add Reply

Contact Us via Facebook, Twitter, or Email below!

All images used in the banners are borrowed under the Creative Commons license. All respective copyrights upheld.
    - Brony Kingdom Believes in Equal Rights for Everyone -